Nigerian traffic rules and regulations require that all transports must be registered before they are put into use on public roads. However, the task seemed to be a nightmare for many as the strenuous procedure is extremely time-consuming. The endless line of applicants waiting in front of FRSC office plus repeated visits due to the lack of required documents have haunted some till death.
1. Documents needed for vehicle registration in Nigeria
First and foremost, to make sure you’ll never need to come back the registration center one more time, every document must be ready in your hand.
Do you find this scene familiar?
Below is the list of papers required:
From the company you bought the vehicle
- Letter of attestation
- Delivery note
- Receipt of purchase or invoice
- Proof of ownership of the vehicle
Your own identification papers:
- The latest driver’s license which is still valid, of course.
- National identity card or International passport
- Proof of your current living address, for example, your utility bills
- Your passport photographs
Particularly, if the car is imported, you have to prepare the following as well:
- Tax identification number
- Clearance papers from customs
- Duty certificate of motor vehicles
Essential documents are to verify your and your vehicle’s identities
2. Procedure of FRSC vehicle registration
Standard car registration in Nigeria
Once all those documents are available, proceed to the steps below of a standard car registration in Nigeria:
1. Come to State Board of Internal Revenue or Motor Licensing Authority
2. Complete the form “Allocation of plate number” carefully
3. Submit the form and all required documents.
4. Finish the application package
After checking through your papers, the authorities will give you more forms to fill, including:
- Allocation of registration number of new vehicle
- License form of auto vehicle
- Form B (just a name, never mind)
- FRSC/ Federal Road Safety form
- Tax form
The application package will then be forwarded and verified by a police officer in the licensing office. If approved, it’ll be stamped with date of verification.
5. Pay for the license plate.
Different types of plates cost a particular amount of money. For example, a standard number plate is publicized at N12,500 and the fancy number plate is around N80,000.
You may want to order a fancy number plate like this?
However, many drivers have reported being asked for up to N50,000, so when having services at the FRSC office in a specific region, remember to inquire clarification for the amount of money you have to pay.
6. Present the receipt of payment and take the newly assigned plate number. Other documents given are Proof of Ownership Certificate, Proof of Ownership Certificate Number and VIT or Vehicle Identification Tag
7. Take back all original documents that you had submitted. Double check to ensure nothing’s missing or mistaken.
8. Buy vehicle insurance policy for your new car. Read why car insurance is a must in Nigeria to understand why you have to do so.
Vehicle registration in Lagos
Abovementioned car registration details might be a bit different from the car registration process in Lagos. As its name reveals, Centre of Excellence always present a more time-saving procedure compared to the rest of country.
Lagos – the salt of the Earth
All that you need to prepare for vehicle registration in Lagos is:
- A valid driver’s license
- Insurance papers
- Insurance policy number
- ID document: national identity card or international passport
- Proof of current address
- Proof of car ownership
- Tax identification number
- Custom papers (compulsory for imported vehicles)
Then, bring everything required to one of over 50 MVAA offices around Lagos and you’ll get it done in a very short time.
eVRS - Electronic Vehicle Registration System
Car registration number verification
After registering your car number plate, you can try car registration number verification on FRSC’s or Lagos Motor Vehicle Administration Agency’s websites. The result will show exactly the type of vehicle and some other information if the license plate is valid.
>>> For detailed guidelines, please check these posts:
- How to check car number plate owner in Nigeria?
- Vehicle plate number verification, costs and approved sites for new number plate
- Driving license verification and frequently asked questions
Fake car number plates are omnipresent on Nigerian streets
3. Nigerian vehicle registration plates
Nigerian vehicle registration plates were officially introduced in 1992 and went through a noticeable revision in 2011. Nigerian license plates follow North American standard in design which is 6x12 inches.
The majority of vehicle registration plates are painted white with the map of Nigeria, highlighting the blue numbers. The top left corner displays the flag of Nigeria or the national coat of arms. The state name along with its slogan is imprinted in the centre of top line. Under the plate number is the name Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Different types of vehicle plate numbers are painted in different colors, such as:
- Normal plates: Blue
- Commercial vehicle plates: Red
- Government vehicle plates: Green
- Diplomatic plates: White number on red background
Diplomatic vehicle plates can be easily recognized with red background
The first three letters on Nigerian vehicle plates reveal the local government area where they are registered. For example, AAA refers to Lagos Island, KJA indicates Ikeja while AKD represents Ibeju Lekki.
The vehicle registration in Nigeria is not that horrible as long as you know what you need to prepare and where you can submit it. Remember to bring along enough money as well, then no one intends to cause troubles. If you can’t do it on your own, you may refer to some private services but the price is a factor for careful consideration. Also, verifying your license plate after they’re done is a must to make sure you do not fall into fraud.
People also search for: vehicle licence, check vehicle registration in Nigeria, Nigeria vehicle registration, vehicle registration in lagos, cost of vehicle registration in Nigeria, how much is car registration in nigeria.
>>> Related posts: You can update much information about Safe-driving on Naijauto.com by click HERE.
- Check your knowledge of National driving licence with our quiz!
- Vehicle registration verification and top facts around number plates
- How to apply for international drivers license Nigeria?