Overview of driver's license renewal in Nigeria
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) was created to make sure that road users abide by rules and regulations, also to ensure they meet the necessary requirements for using an automobile. One of those requirements is having a drivers license. Getting a driver's license is not so easy but it's important so you can avoid being stopped regularly by the officials of the FRSC or even the police. However, your driver's license carries an expiration date which means you'll have to renew after a period of time - usually 5 years. One thing a lot of people have always worried about is how to renew their driver's license.
Why do you need to renew your driver's license?
Driver's license renewal comes after five years, and in some cases, four years, depending on the office you're renewing at. This renewal is important as you can get fined up to 10,000 naira or even more if you are caught driving without the license. Keep in mind that the same license can serve as a means of identification, so you're obviously going to be carrying a multipurpose plastic card.
Asides not carrying your license, carrying an expired drivers license also comes with a fine. That's why it's important to go for a rental even before your license expires. Since the drivers license lasts 4-5 years, you can go for a renewal 4 weeks before the month of expiration. The office gives you a letter that covers your movement while your license is been sorted.
How many ways are there to renew your driver's license?
You might also be wondering if there's just one specific way for drivers license renewal. Well there are two major methods of getting it done - online and by going to the FRSC office or license office (depending on what is obtainable in your city). A lot of Nigerians prefer going to the physical office because they believe a face to face interaction makes it faster and is more reliable. But it's worthy to note that the online process takes less time and you can pretty much apply or submit all that is required, from the comfort of your home.
When can you renew drivers license online?
If you used to apply for Nigeria drivers license renewal at FRSC offices years ago, you would understand the pain. Time-consuming procedures, totally exhausted body and mind, excessive cost and countless added fees that came from nowhere you can perceive.
Fortunately, gone are the days we have to put up with all of these because you can now renew drivers license online and only need to visit the office to submit the documents.
See how Nigerians once suffer from license-related nightmares!
Should you want to do vehicle licence renewal in Lagos, you can refer to MVAA website. Otherwise, please follow the FRSC procedure on their official web which will be elaborated by Naijauto.com later on.
However, before reading how to renew drivers license in Nigeria, make sure you meet these criteria to do Nigeria drivers license renewal online.
- You have access to a computer with Internet connection
- The computer is connected to a printer or photocopier
- You have bank cards to make online payment
- Your drivers license will expire within 30 days
The first two are easy to handle as you can go to a photocopy shop or a business center which can offer Internet-accessed computer and printer.
Steps for online drivers licence renewal in Nigeria
The process of drivers licence renewal in Nigeria starts now!
- Go to Federal Road Safety Corps’ website, License Renewal tab at: https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/dlApplication/renew
- Fill in your license number and date of birth
- Click on Search. If your license is still valid for more than 30 days, you can’t proceed to driving licence renewal form.
- Pick your choice for Nigerian drivers license renewal: new license valid in 3 years or 5 years.
The cost of renewing drivers license in Nigeria includes fees for these two options and some extra charges. 3-year license costs N6,350 while the 5-year one goes for N10,450.
The FRSC website to renew drivers license
- Scroll down and carefully check your biodata. You can update or correct the information if necessary.
- Select your Processing Office where you will submit documents and pick up your renewed license.
- Choose to re-do your biometric capture at the office or not.
- Click Submit when finish.
- Check the preview page in details to make sure everything’s correct.
- Do the payment online with Interswitch, Visa or MasterCard. After your payment is confirmed, the Driver’s License Application Acknowledgement Slip will be displayed.
- Copy the Application ID and print out the slip (two copies are recommended)
- Return to the navigation menu of the web, choose Track DL Application status.
- Paste the Application ID and your date of birth. Print out another two copies of Payment Confirmation Slip.
Remember to prepare your card for online payment!
Finish the FRSC drivers licence renewal at the office
After completing all the steps online, you must visit your chosen Processing office to finish the renewal of driving license in Nigeria. Bring with you:
- Copies of Driver’s License Application Acknowledgement Slip
- Copies of Payment Confirmation Slip
- Copy of your current drivers license along with the original one.
- At least 2 passport photos.
Now, come in the office and get everything done!
- Present all required documents to FRSC officer
- Have your acknowledgement slip validated at MVAA section (Motor Vehicle Administration Agency)
- Take a short written test (10 simple questions related to traffic rules and regulations) at the VIS (Vehicle Inspection Service). Pay N2,200 and get the receipt for this test.
- If you don’t choose to recapture your biometric data, then you’re done. In case you selected it when applying online, you might need 10 more minutes to recapture it in the office.
That’s all the steps and drivers licence renewal requirements at FRSC offices. They will notify you when you can come to pick up the renewed license. The normal time is about 3 months.
The recapture of your biometric data can take more time and charges
In the waiting time, you can do either of this to avoid troubles with the traffic police.
- Bring your acknowledgement slip (if you don’t recapture biometric data)
- Bring your temporary license card (given after you recapture biometric data)
So, how long can you go without renewing your driver's license? You might ask.
Actually, there haven’t been any updates on fines if you carry an expired driving license. However, the law says that all drivers must conduct the renewal of driving licence after expiry or you will have to apply for the driving license all over again.
What is the new bypass capture?
Bypass capture is a new measure by the FRSC to make it easier for old license owners to easily renew their license without the hassle of doing the application all over again. The bypass capture is available on the portal of the driver's license and allows you recapture your biometrics. But not everyone is eligible for the bypass capture.
- How to know if I'm eligible for bypass capture
This feature is only available to those who have had their data in the FRSC database already. It allows you renew and capture biometrics up to the second renewal time. However, you'll have to do a fresh application from the third time.
>>> Details of bypass capture process are explained here: Bypass Capture: FRSC new driver’s licence procedure
Drivers license renewal cost in Nigeria
According to FRSC, the official fee to renew a driver's license in Nigeria is 6,350 for a 3-year license and 10,350 for a 5-year. However, this cost may go up to 12,000 or even 15,000 in reality. You just asked why? Because this is Nigeria and there are several factors you should expect when dealing with paperwork here.
>>> You can refer to this article to understand why: How much is drivers license in Nigeria 2019 – License fraud unveiled
To get your driver's license quickly, careful preparation is a must
FAQs about driver license renewal in Nigeria
- How long do you have to wait to collect your driver's license?
You will have to wait for 90 days after the online application process to get your drivers license. Apparently this is to ensure your data is properly entered into all necessary database.
- How do I check my drivers license status in Nigeria?
You can check your drivers license status on the Nigerian DL website, cited above.
- Can you drive while waiting for your renewed license?
Yes you can drive while waiting for your license. The office gives you a letter that also serves as a permit. It has an expiration date as well, because it is expected that your license will be ready before the said date.
- What happens if you are caught driving with an expired license?
If you are caught driving with an expired license, the license will be confiscated and you will be fined. So about it at all cost.
- Is there a grace period for renewing a driver's license in Nigeria?
You're expected to do your drivers license renewal a month before it expires.
Above is the comprehensive list of steps you must go through for Nigeria drivers license renewal with drivers license renewal cost for specific stages. Prepare everything carefully and you can get it done less than 30 minutes, both online and in the FRSC office.
>>> You may want to check: