If you intend to travel abroad and rent a car to self-explore the exotic scenery, you may consider applying for international drivers license Nigeria. The procedure is presented inside.
1. Why need Nigeria international driving licence?
Many of you may wonder why we need Nigeria international driving licence. Is the normal driving license not enough to prove your driving proficiency?
Of course you hardly need an international document when you determine to stay within Nigerian borders forever, but those aiming to go abroad should apply for international driving license because of many benefits it brings.
First, international driving license allows them to drive in that foreign country without attending the driving test one more time. It also serves as an identification document as well as a useful certificate of your ability in case you want to apply for a driving job.
An international driving permit allows you to drive worldwide
Can I use my international driving license in Nigeria? You may ask. Definitely, if you are not Nigerians. For local people, the international license is not for use within our own country. Though the international driving license application requires you to obtain a Nigerian driving license first. That means any license in those two holds the same validity proving your driving skills, the international one is just for international purposes.
2. International drivers license application in Nigeria
There are certain requirements for international drivers licence you should know before moving to the application procedure.
- The applicant must be 18 years old or above.
- He or she must be of sound mind.
- The applicant must be able to present clearly the reasons for international drivers permit application.
- The applicant must have a valid Nigerian national driving permit.
As you can see, to prepare for international drivers license application in Nigeria, you must have a Nigerian driver’s license first. In case you haven’t obtained one yet, please refer to our previous post Driving license application from A to Z for detailed instructions. Within the scope of this post, we just brief here basic steps for your overview.
A Nigerian driver’s license is pre-requisite for an international permit
Steps to get a Nigerian driving license:
- Finish driver’s education course at accredited driving schools. Here are the list of driving schools in Abuja, driving schools in Lekki and driving schools in Ikeja.
- Apply for driving license at the DLC (Driver’s License Centre).
- Make payment for all requested fees online or at participated banks
- Attend the driving test under the supervision of VIO (vehicle inspection officer), either theory and practical test.
- Get a provisional driving permit while waiting for the official document to be issued after 60 days.
Once you get the full driving license, continue with the following steps to obtain international driving permit:
- Write an application letter in which you explain why you need an international driving license and which country you intend to use it in.
- Visit Central Motor Registry or Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity to ask for the application form. Complete the form carefully.
- Submit the application letter, application form, required documents (including valid Nigerian driver’s license, recent passport photos, scanned copy of your own signature) and proof of your payment for prescribed fees.
- The authorities will then examine your application package and verify your identity documents.
- If passed, your international driving license will be processed and sent to the Interpol office (belonging to the Nigerian Police Force) who will issue the permit to you right after.
Prepare your passport for the application package
Can I get an international driver’s license online?
Sorry the answer is no. As it relates to foreign aspects, the application must be done offline to ensure the accuracy. You may be allowed to make payment online but most of the steps require your presence at aforementioned places.
3. Cost of international drivers licence
In Nigeria, the authority responsible for issuing international drivers license is the Central Motor Registry who work closely with Motor Vehicle Administration Agency as well as the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) during the processFRSC
An international drivers license cost depends on each type of permit you apply for. There are 3 kinds of documents parallel with 3 level of cost of international drivers licence:
- Valid in 1 year: $39.99 (~N14,500)
- Valid in 2 years: $54.99 (~N20,000)
- Valid in 3 years: $69.99 (~N25,500)
4. Picture of Nigerian international drivers license
Below is picture of Nigerian international drivers license for your reference. It obviously should look different from a normal national driving permit.
International drivers license pictures
Naijauto.com hopes that this sample of Nigerian international drivers licence may help you somehow figure out what information it may contain on the document for identification purpose. Make sure you remember it and do not fall into traps of forgery in case you may send somebody to apply it for you.
All in all, you should apply for an FRSC Nigeria international drivers license if you intend to travel abroad for a certain period of time. Not only can it help you avoid troubles with police there, it can also help to earn some money with professional driving jobs.
The international drivers license Nigeria application is quite straightforward, just make sure you prepare everything carefully. The time for authorities to process your request is just 2 to 3 working days but it surely takes longer in case you can’t submit sufficient documents in the application package.
>>> You may want to check: