Why need to check driving license verification?
Driving license is a must-have government document when driving on public roads. This somewhat-like identification card cannot only prove you’re qualified enough to ride a motorized vehicle but also help a lot in case of unwanted incidents.
As you may see, hundreds of road accidents happen in Nigeria each month. Had it not been for the implementation of driving licenses, it wouldn’t be easy to identify the unfortunate victims.
While many people are 100% confident with their driving licenses, the fact is some of them may be holding a fake license without their recognition. These days, when forgery becomes so popular that they can produce almost any kind of document identical to the original version, how can you make sure your paper is real?
Be careful with fake driver’s license floating on market (Photo source: Fraudfyi)
Moreover, regardless of your acknowledgement, carrying a fake driver’s license around is definitely against the law, which may lead you to heavy fine or even imprisonment.
How to verify driving licence number?
To verify drivers license in Nigeria, you need to find the official website of Federal Road Safety Commission, then follow the procedure to check whether your license is available in their database or not.
Capture of FRSC website design
Below are 7 steps to check for your FRSC number verification:
- Go to FRSC official website: https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/
- Choose the tab: DL Application to see the drop down list
- For valid driver’s license, click on Re-issue of Driver’s License; For expired driver’s license, click on Renewal of Driver’s License
- When the dialog box appears, type in your driver’s license number and date of birth
- Click on Search
- A box will pop up to confirm your driving license number, click OK if everything’s correct
- Two cases may happen here: Should you see your information displayed, your document is real. If nothing is revealed, you can now assure that you’re holding a fake license.
Follow these 7 steps and you may find out shocking truth about your license
Frequently asked questions in FRSC drivers licence verification
Don’t worry if you have no idea of the FRSC vehicle registration verification! The majority of people are also unaware of some basic knowledge related to this procedure as well.
Realizing the common concern among countless Nigerian drivers for the drivers license verification, Naijauto will ponder here some typical questions you may ask when doing car license verification or any other vehicle’s.
1. How much do I need to pay for a new driver’s license?
The fee for a new driving license to be issued in Nigeria is N6,000. You can pay for it online or at any participating bank throughout the country.
2. How can I replace my current license with a new one?
There are 2 ways you can refer to in this case:
- Submitting manual form: You come to a licencing office and ask for an application form from a VIO/BIR officer. After completing the form and submitting it to the FRSC representative, you will be given an application ID number to make payment at a participating bank. You then need to submit the acknowledgement slip from the bank to the licencing office for registration. The VIO officer will screen the application for approval. Once this is done, he or she will capture your biometric information and issue a temporary license for you. It will expire 60 days later, right after your new official driver’s license is available.
- Submitting online form: Every step should be the same as above but the only difference is you will access and fill in an online application form. You can either pay online or at the bank as well. The remaining steps are identical to the offline method.
3. When will a new driving license expire?
A driving license will be valid for 3 years.
Particularly, if you’re between 18 and 25 or above 65, you need to show up for a driving and vision test annually.
Remember to take the eye test and driving test every year if you’re 18-25
4. How can I renew my license as a commercial driving licence?
You can’t apply straight for a commercial driving license but have to register for a private license first. According to FRSC, commercial drivers will then have their licenses converted later. At present, they can use their private licenses to drive commercial vehicles. Updates on the conversion procedure will be announced soon on FRSC website.
5. I’ve been issued a license but misplaced it. What should I do now?
You have no choice but visit a licencing office to register for a new driving license. You can also apply online on FRSC official website at: https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/
Always refer to official website for drivers license application or any kind of application
A Nigerian drivers license is not only a document to prove you can drive, it’s able to reflect driver’s education as well. Regardless of your driving a motorcycle, car, bus or even truck, you must ensure that the national drivers license is always available as long as you’re on a public road.
Also, do driving licence verification as soon as possible; otherwise, it may cause you a lot of troubles with the police. Faking such government paper is equivalent to a risk of jail, in case you don’t know.
>>> For more in-depth knowledge about traffic rules and regulations: