United States of America Customs and Border Protection has informed the general public, especially shipping agents and exporters, that vehicles possessing State of New York titles will, henceforth, not be eligible for export across the country.
The export ban only affects New York State issued vehicles titles
The message came to the notice of the public after a US-based export company Capital Exports Inc. sent a notice to its various agents with the title “New York Titles Notice and new Policy.” According to the notice, data of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles DMV cannot be accessed due to a new policy that took effect on February 5, 2020.
>>> The Nigeria Customs Service is waging war against illegal car importation! Customs: 90% of cars in the country were smuggled in!
The company stated that already loaded purchased vehicles carrying documents issued in New York are not eligible for departure in the absence of CBP validation. Purchased vehicles bearing New York state titles picked up and housed by Capital Exports are not eligible for loading. Capital Exports also disclosed that, henceforth, it would only offer a 30-day free storage period in order to give its shippers a safe landing with the new policy. It also advised its shippers to desist from buying cars bearing New York state titles as it will not pick up such vehicles.
>>> Do you need the low down on car importation from Copart in the USA? Check this out then: How to buy auction cars from Copart USA & ship to Nigeria - Step by step guide
See the notice below:
- Vehicles purchased with New York issued state documents that are already loaded will not be allowed to depart without CBP validation and will have to be Off-Loaded and returned to our warehouses, for Storage.
- Vehicles purchased with NY issued state titles that Capital Exports, Inc picked up and are in our warehouses, will not be accepted for loading or export RO-RO or container mode.
- Capital Exports, Inc will offer 30 days FREE Storage grace period ONLY, to help our shippers with this sudden policy. Hope it can be resolved sooner than later, after 30 days we will charge $5.00/day storage until picked up or shipped. Our warehouses are at capacity at the moment.
- Capital Exports, Inc is advising all our shippers to NOT purchase any cars which have New York titles (Salvage or Clean) until further notice, furthermore Capital Exports, Inc will NOT pick up any cars with New York Titles.
- Please before buying any cars from any auction or dealer make sure the title is NOT a New York issued title.
>>> Check out latest auto news on Naijauto.com for updates!