Did you know that ever since 1974, a new Volkswagen Golf has been ordered in at least every 41 seconds? Now, the Golf itself turns 45. Read the gist here!
Even though Naijauto.com has been around for a while now, we have certainly not turned 45 years like the Volkswagen Golf.
The Volkswagen Golf has been so far recorded as the most successful European car. Its production started officially in the Volkswagen plant in Wolfsburg on 29th of March 1974 and even the brand had no idea it was going to become its future best-seller model.
Although the Golf was the successor to the legendary Volkswagen Beetle, there was absolutely nobody in the Volkswagen company that had the tiniest clue that this successor model would ever end up selling over 35 million units across the globe till today.
By detailed statistics, since the start of production of the Volkswagen Golf about 45 years ago, a new Golf has been recorded to be ordered somewhere around the world in every 41 seconds in each day of each year with no interruption. This gave a total average of approximately 780,000 units sold per year.
>>> For prices of Volkswagen cars, check out: Volkswagen price in Nigeria - German efficiency
This is the 1st Volkswagen Golf model from 1974 – A classic beauty, right?
The Volkswagen Wolfsburg plant manager, Dr Stefan Loth said;
“In 1974, our employees were facing the challenge of switching from the Beetle to the Golf. Since then, we have consistently continued to develop our main plant and today, in addition to the Golf, we produce the e-Golf, the Golf GTE, the Golf Sportsvan, and three additional models here in Wolfsburg.”
The Volkswagen Golf is with no doubt one of the compact models on the worldwide automobile market that one could say almost defies any classification as it’s set to remain as a key product pillar of the entire Volkswagen brand as a whole. Many auto enthusiasts will agree that the Golf will surely provide a decisive momentum for the next generation of mobility with its impressive operating systems, infotainment system and assist systems.
Here are some important data on Volkswagen Golf I’s debut and about the model itself:
1. Volkswagen Golf I – The 1974 debut’s timeline
- March 29, 1974: The first unit of the Volkswagen Golf got rolled off the assembly line and this became the Start of production of the series.
- July 8, 1974: The Gold was made available in Volkswagen dealerships showrooms.
- August 5, 1974: The actual delivery of the Volkswagen Golf to all customers began.
2. Volkswagen Golf I – The features
- Design: It comes in 4-door and 2-door options both with boot lid present.
- Interior: It usually comes with a foldable rear bench seat, 300-litre luggage compartment, and 5-seater.
- Engines: It has a 1.5L 4-cylinder petrol engine, 70 PS/ 51 kW option and a 1.1L 4-cylinder petrol engine, 50 PS/ 37 kW option.
- Drive: Available options include; 3-speed automatic, 4-speed manual gearbox, and front-wheel drive.
- Max. Speed: 160 km/h (70 PS) manual transmission, 140 km/h (50 PS) manual transmission
3. Volkswagen Golf I – Other interesting data
Models: Available variant includes; Golf LS and Golf S (which both have 70 PS), also Golf L, and Golf (which both has 50 PS).
Other models and their details:
e-Golf, 100 kW (136 PS) – (NEDC) power consumption, kWh/100 km: combined 14.1–13.2; CO₂ emissions combined, g/km: 0; efficiency class: A+
Golf GTE, 150 kW (204 PS) – (NEDC) fuel consumption, l/100 km: combined 1.8–1.6; power consumption, kWh/100 km: combined 12.0– 11.4; CO₂ emissions combined, g/km: 40–36; efficiency class: A+
It is undeniable that a huge percentage of Nigerian’s has always loved the Volkswagen Golf series and still till this day. It’s one of those cars that you will always see in both rural and urban areas of Nigeria.
We celebrate with Volkswagen on the Golf turning 45 and we do hope the company continually produces high quality, durable and affordable vehicles like the Golf.
>>> Reviews and prices in Nigeria of Volkswagen products: