1. What do Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority do?
Every organization and agency both private and public always have sets of responsibilities.
This same way, the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) too, does have their own set of responsibilities. They are the regulatory body for the aviation sector in Nigeria. The NCAA became independent after the passing into law of the “2006 Civil Aviation Act” by the Nigerian National Assembly and assent of the Presidency on Nigeria. This Act did not only empower the NCAA to make regulations to the Aviation Safety without any political interference, but it also gives them the power to carry out supervision functions of Meteorological services, Airspace, Airports as well as management of the industry’s economic regulations.
The Authority has its corporate office at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in FCT, Abuja and its headquarters in the Aviation House, Murtala Muhammed Airport in Ikeja, Lagos. You might be interested in knowing that another responsibility of the NCAA is to actually register the deaths and births that occur on an aircraft within our Nigerian Aerospace only.
The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority is so far the only government approved body governing all of Nigeria’s aerospace
Below is a brief list of some of the various responsibilities of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA);
- Registration and issuance of “Registration Certificate” to any aircraft owner in Nigeria.
- The Maintenance and establishment of systems/register for the recording of the title to or any interest in Nigerian registered aircraft.
- They authority ascertains and enforces that unless any Foreign or Nigerian registered aircraft has its issued “certificate of airworthiness” it is prohibited from operating within the Nigerian aerospace.
- Regulation and inspection of aerodromes and aircraft factories.
- Enforcing that anyone unsatisfied with the Act and regulations of the Authority is prohibited from engaging in any form of air navigation whatsoever
- Ensuring the regularity and efficiency of aircraft safety as well as air navigation to make sure that everyone and every property being carried in an aircraft are prevented from danger.
- The authority administers some examination tests to which they issue, validate, renew and extend certificates, and licenses or even other documents that are required by regulations and custody. They also produce, cancel, suspend, endorse and surrender any of such documents as well.
- They register deaths and births that occur in an aircraft within the Nigerian airspace.
- They collate and maintain a data bank of the Nigerian Aviation’s aircraft incidents, accidents, and its occurrences as well as promote all sort of air accident prevention programs all over Nigeria.
- Prohibit and regulate flight of aircraft over some areas in the country which are not recommended by the authority itself.
- Investigate all air crash within the country or involving Nigerian registered aircrafts
Understanding Nigeria Aviation Reforms - Part 1
>>> What about these frequently mentioned organizations? Full meaning of FRSC, function of FRSC and VIO
2. Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority: Top 6 ways that they make money
Below are some of the ways the NCAA raises funds:
- Budgetary allocation and subventions from the Nigerian Federal government
- Payable fines for all violations of the civil aviation orders, rules and regulations
- Funds accruing to the NCAA by way of grants, bequests, endowments, gifts or other forms of contributions by organizations or persons of influence
- ROI – Return on Investments
- Foreign assistance and aids
- The funds and fees they accumulate in respect of the services they provide. Some of these funds and fees include but not limited to;
- Air Travel Organizer’s License
- Air Transport License/Airline Operating
- Permit/Permit for non‐commercial flights
- Air Operator Certificate
- Percentage of the air ticket, cargo and charter sales charges
- Aircraft registration and certification
- Certificate of Airworthiness (issue and renewal)
- Medical examination fees
- Contract registration fees
- Registration of agencies
>>> To see more up-to-date News and reports like this, navigate to our car news, auto-launch, and automotive industry updates.