In case you missed it, the renowned Mercedes-Benz W124 Estate model recently clocked 35 years of “automobile age”. It was the revolutionary model that stole many people’s hearts during the Frankfurt Motor Show back in 1985 when it came as a replacement for the preceding W124 model.
The renowned Mercedes-Benz W124 Estate model is now 35 years old
Sometimes ago, we published an article that highlights all the 17 classes of Mercedes-Benz cars in the world; among these classes lies the popular Benz E-Class which the W124 Estate model is a part of.
It was popularly known by the Germans as the T-Model, with the “T” standing for transport and tourism. This amazing model was styled by Mercedes-Benz’s design department that was led back then by Bruno Sacco. The practical design of the model included a large and generous cargo area right behind the vehicle’s back seats as well as so many technical changes that made it stand out among competitors.
Mercedes-Benz W124 Estate – A quick lookback
Rather than bore you out with all the “Chitchat” and long background story of the 35years old Benz W124 Estate model, below is a highlight of some interesting details:
- The Mercedes-Benz W124 generation is actually the very first to bear the now popular E-Class designation
- The initial engine of the 300-TE and 200-TD models in the W124 Estate range came with an output of 185hp (138kW / 188PS) and 71hp (53kW / 72PS) respectively
- The all wagons 200-T models with petrol-powered engines had a practical system which controls its emissions.
The Mercedes-Benz W124 Estate was a very practical car model for transport and tourism during its time
- In April 1987, the W124 Estate got the 4Matic 4-wheel drive system as an extra option for an additional charge
- Later in 1989, the popular W124 Estate got facelifted and offered with an additional 300 TE-24 variant that comes with a powerful engine capable of delivering 217hp (162kW / 220PS) in the facelifted version in 1989.
- The Mercedes E-Class Estate was introduced in 1993 as the official successor of the W124 Estate model
Want to learn more about the interesting journey of the Mercedes-Benz W124 Estate? Watch this short documentary video below:
Video: Mercedes Benz E-Class Station Wagons W124 S124 Specs Documentary