If you have been frequently reading our articles here on Naijauto and also some foreign auto websites, you would have probably come across various non-functional but phenomenal flying car concepts. But, for the first time ever; a fully-functional mass-production “Fly & Drive” car has now been unveiled in Florida, the United States with a huge ₦216 million ($599,000) price tag.
Meet PAL-V – the world’s first-ever functional flying car that cost $599,000 and its in mass-production already
Cheaper version of PAL-V will be available in 2020
This flying car is a 3-wheeled machine and it’s dubbed the PAL-V (Pioneer Personal Air Landing Vehicle). It is a 230hp rated Dutch-made powerful 2-seater car that currently boasts of 70 pre-orders and it is actively in production already. Although, owners will still need to have both a pilot and a driver’s license in order to operate one for now.
According to reports, different versions of this PAL-V flying car are currently being developed in China, Japan, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic. Also, a much cheaper version is expected to be introduced sometime next year as the PAL-V Liberty Sport with a price tag of about ₦120.6million ($335,000).
When a public statement about this new flying car, the CEO of PAL-V – Robert Dingemanse said;
“While other flying car manufacturers’ concepts require modified regulations and, in many cases, not yet existing technologies, PAL-V deliberately chose to engineer, design and build a flying car with proven technologies and fully compliant with existing regulations”,
>>> Besides PAL-V, you can buy 9 more: 10 flying cars that go on sale in 2019, prices & where to buy!
PAL-V is a 3-wheeled machine that can drive on a normal road or fly in the air like a chopper
Features of the PAL-V flying car
Below is a quick highlight of some notable features of this new “fly and drive” PAL-V car;
- It requires just 30meters (100ft) runway for landing, 164meters (540ft) for take-off and weighs just 600kg (1,500pounds) because it’s made of aluminum, titanium and carbon fibre.
- Motorbike type of handling system (a control stick that can be tilted for maneuvering the machine in the air and on the ground)
- Foldable rotor blades (gathers together like a “bat’s wing” atop the car when moving on land)
- Zero to 60mph (96kph) acceleration in just 8seconds on ground
- Convert from being a car on land to a flying gyrocopter in just 10minutes
- It has a 102-liter (27-gallon) tank which gives it 1207km (750miles) driving range on ground and 399-498km (248-310miles) flying range in air
The CEO of PAL-V, Dingemanse also mentioned that even if both engines of this flying car fail, the rotor blades will still turn. When explaining the reason behind this feature, he said;
“The rotor is not powered, so it’s actually a parachute which is always available”,
Check out this PAL-V flying car in a short video demo below;
PAL-V Testing Production Model
>>> Be in the know by checking out other auto-related -> Cutting edge tech trends on Naijauto!