Is Innoson IVM G80 a replica of Chinese BAIC BJ80 SUV? Check out their similarities

08/21/2019

Posted by: Oluwaseun Solomon

Share this post:
Many people are saying that the Nigerian-made Innoson IVM G80 SUV is just a rebadged Chinese BAIC BJ80 SUV. Check out their similarities to confirm this here!

Following some recent arguments about the Nigerian automaker Innoson’s IVM G80 SUV, looking just like a rebadged Chinese BAIC BJ80 SUV; Naijauto has decided to spell out some of the similarities that the Innoson SUV shares with the other Chinese-made SUV for clarity sake.

Frontview-of-BAIC-BJ80-vs-Innoson-IVM-G80

Chinese BAIC BJ80 SUV (top) vs Nigerian Innoson IVM G80 SUV (bottom) – Can you spot any similarities?

>>> What's with all these comparisons of Innoson cars? Here's another one! How many scores Innoson IVM G80 get in comparison with Mercedes G-Wagon?

First, we would like to point out that the Wikipedia page of the Chinese-made BAIC BJ80 SUV states that the Innoson IVM G80 is indeed a variant of the Chinese mid-size 4-WD luxury SUV manufactured by a subsidiary of BAIC (Beijing Auto Industry Corporation) – BAIC Motors under BAW (Beijing Auto Works).

See the image below for proof;

Screenshot-of-BAIC-BJ80-SUV-Wikipedia-page

Screenshot of BAIC BJ80 SUV’s Wikipedia page showing that the Innoson IVM G80 is a variant of the Chinese vehicle

Just like you can see in the image above, Wikipedia claims that other variants of the BAIC BJ80 include the BJ80J (military version) and the BJ80D (diesel-powered), an SVOS 80 Czech-made version, and also an Armored version that comes with Kevlar and steel plating.

Backview-of-BAIC-BJ80-vs-Innoson-IVM-G80

Chinese BAIC BJ80 SUV (top) vs Nigerian Innoson IVM G80 SUV (bottom) – a closer look from the back!

>>> Meanwhile soon, IVM could be getting serious competition from other local assembly plants: Renault, Coscharis collaborate to sell low-cost vehicles in Nigeria

Many people are actually more concerned about the fact that the Chinese BAIC BJ80 SUV has a starting price of ₦14,900,000 - ₦15,400,000 (288,000 - 298,000 Yuan) without shipping and clearing cost to get it to Nigeria. The Nigerian-made Innoson IVM G80 is priced at a whopping ₦27,825,000.

Front-fascia-of-BAIC-BJ80-vs-Innoson-IVM-G80

The front fascia of Chinese BAIC BJ80 SUV (top) vs Nigerian Innoson IVM G80 SUV (bottom) – Any difference?

From the above image, it is also clear that the Innoson IVM G80 and the BAIC BJ80 does not only share similarities on their exterior alone but also feature quite the exact same interior design and features like the dashboard styling.

So, if Innoson claims that 70% of its vehicle parts are all produced in Nigeria with only the remaining 30% being shipped from Germany, China and Japan; how come this IVM G80 feels like a complete replica of the BAIC BJ80?

Share this post:
Oluwaseun Solomon

Oluwaseun Solomon

Market news

Oluwaseun Solomon is a prolific and diligent automobile writer at Naijauto.com. He's also an experienced digital marketer and a creative multimedia developer that specializes in video editing. He currently contributes informative and easy to read articles on topics covering transportation, traffic updates, auto industry updates, and different car reviews.
When Solomon is not writing, you will either find him composing music, editing videos or simply enjoying YouTube "TEDx Talk" videos with a chilled drink :)

Related Articles

See more
Covid 19