A fire outbreak occurred at Magodo Phase 1 in Lagos State on Thursday March 21, 2019, destroying properties that amount to millions of naira.
Eye-witnesses who were present when the incident happened said that the fire started out in a storey building at about 12 noon, and consumed two flats located on the top floor of the building, before anything could be done to contain it.
Fire destroying buildings is not a rare scene in Lagos
The attention of the Lagos State Fire Service (LSFS) was called. They arrived at the scene almost immediately, and swung into action to put off the fire. But for their timely intervention, eye-witnesses said the fire would have caused more havoc.
“From our workshop, we saw thick fumes from the fire and we quickly mobilized the boys in the area to extinguish the fire. We thank God that we were able to put it out to a reasonable extent and we also thank the fire service personnel, who arrived promptly to extinguish the fire completely. Nobody died or was injured but properties were destroyed,”
one of the eye-witnesses revealed.
One of the occupants of the building whose upper floor flats were consumed narrated her own story. She disclosed that the fire was triggered by an electric spark in one of the apartments as a resulting of fluctuating electricity. “We have lost everything to the fire. Not even a pin was salvaged from the apartments. We lost money, documents and properties. As I speak to you now, we are left with nothing and only God knows where we are going to lay our heads tonight,” the visibly broken woman lamented.
Lucky enough, no one died or got injured
A resident of the area pointed accusing fingers at the company in charge of electricity distribution in the state. He said, if they had resolved the fluctuating power supply issue, the incident would not have occurred.
Similarly, there was another incident of fire outbreak around a mechanic workshop in Surulere. According to eye-witnesses, the fire burnt vehicles parked in the area.
Rasaki Musibau, acting Director, Lagos State Fire Service, advised Lagosians to be conscious of fire outbreaks and equip themselves with basic firefighting tools to stop little fires before they escalate.