It’s just a Dog, right? You probably don’t see the need to consider your pet while paying for a car, but it will suddenly become a problem when you have to fit a fully-grown Boerboel in your car and it takes all the space. If you’re going to get a Dog anyway, it’s best to get a Dog-friendly car that’s comfortable for both humans and your four-legged friend.
What to consider when buying a dog-friendly car?
There are some factors you must consider carefully when choosing a car which makes your pet feel most comfortable. Below are our suggested list!
- It must fit your budget.
- Except it’s a Chihuahua, it must be big enough to accommodate not just your Dog, but your family too.
- The car needs multi-zone automatic temperature controls.
- It needs to have fold-down back seats, it helps prevent Dog hair from building up in the back seat.
- Be sure your Dog can easily get in and out of the car.
- Not every car comes with a built-in pet barrier, but you can look out for one that does. You can buy one yourself, just to make sure it doesn’t climb over the seats. A Dog will also keep your Dog secure, you can clip it to the seat belt.
- Conversation mirrors or a camera system.
- Buy a car with waterproof seat covers or at least, make sure they’re washable.
- Plastic or rubber mats will come in handy
- Dogs can easily hit the window control or the door handle, get a car with child-proof door locks and windows.
- Consider a car with rear-air conditioning.
>>> What about buying an entire minivan for your family and all types of pets? Used Toyota Sienna buying guide for Nigerians
List of Dog-friendly cars that fit you also
While mostly SUVs or family cars have the best features of a Dog-friendly car, let’s still take a look at 10 cars that are most suitable for your Dog, and of course, you. For better and quicker understanding, we would simply list the benefits of the cars and what makes them Dog-friendly.
1. Toyota RAV4
Features that make RAV4 friendly with dogs:
- The roomy cargo space is grate for large Dogs,
- Comes with cargo barrier
- Standard power back door
- An under-floor storage can be found in the boot
- The boot is also carpeted and removable, making cleaning easier
- Leather seats to control Dog hair
- It has flat floors
- Great safety features like forward collision mitigation, 8 airbags, lane departure intervention and a backup camera.
>>> Check Prices of Toyota RAV4 in Nigeria (Update in 2019) here!
Toyota RAV4 offers lots of cargo space and a comfortable ride
2. Mercedes-Benz GLS
Features of Mercedes-Benz GLS suitable for dog owners:
- One big SUV for big Dog and big people too
- Available air suspension feature
- Comes with synthetic leather upholstery, making cleaning less stressful
>>> Naijauto happens to have some Mercedes GLS for sale, click here to view!
3. Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Features inside the dog-friendly Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid:
- Spacious minivan
- Low and flat floors for Dogs to easily jump in and out
- The sliding side doors are wide
- Comes with LATCH hardware in various seating spots, you can attach your harness to it
A plug-in hybrid that can travel up to 33 miles on electric power alone.
4. Land Rover Discovery
Features of Land Rover Discovery which suits your pet:
- Can contain big Dogs
- Enough storage space
- Split-folding back seat
- Air suspension is available
- The interior is square-shaped, so it allows you install a pet barrier seamlessly
- Comes with Land Rover Activity key – You can wear the Activity Key Wristband and lock your key fob inside your car, it allows you engage in other activities (like pet-demanding activities) and have access your car without the keys.
- You have access to the pet packs that include several accessories like “foldable pet carrier, spill-resistant water bowl, tailored quilted load space liner, access ramp, and portable rinse system”.
The Land Rover Pet Pack was designed to help you spend less on your pet
>>> Land Rover Discovery for sale in Nigeria, check them now!
5. GMC Acadia
Advantageous features of GMC Acadia:
- Large Dogs are the best fit
- It’s a big vehicle, so it has plenty space for 8 passengers and your pet
- The third row comes with a storage underneath
- Climate control is available and it works with a touch control
- Split-folding seats
6. 2019 RAM 1500
Features of 2019 RAM 1500:
- It’s large and also a great pickup for travelling with a Dog
- Your Dog bed will have enough room
- Comes with flat floors
- Comes with two sets of LATCH hardware in the back seats, you can attach your harness to it
- The rear seats can be folded up
- Depending on the pickup trim, you can get an air suspension feature, which allows your Dog get in and out easily
- It also comes with running boards
>>> Who said Dogs are "just" pets? See the robotic dogs delivering goods in self-driving van!
The five-passenger truck offers 34.7 inches of legroom.
7. BMW 3 Series
Merits of a BMW 3 Series that support dog owners:
- Best for small and mid-size Dogs
- Built-in dividers are available, keeping your Dog away from the front row
- There’s a back window, which means more fresh air
- Rubber mats are easy to clean, they’re available in the trunk cargo area
- There’s a sunroof and it has a shade cover
- The rear seats can be folded down for more room
>>> To view Used BMW 3 Series for sale in Nigeria, click on the link please!
Plenty of space, great exterior, and impressive handling.
8. Volvo XC90
Check below for features of Volvo XC90:
- It’s an SUV, so it’s great for big Dogs
- Enough cargo space
- A convenient Dog harness that can be easily attached to the car seat belt
- Comes with dog cage as an accessory, can be used in the cargo area
- It has leather seat covers to control Dog hair
- There’s an air-conditioning system on the third row
The second and third-row seats are spacious enough for a mid size SUV, automatically perfect for a pet.
9. Toyota Prius
Features of a Toyota Prius:
- It’s a spacious sedan with a ton of cargo space
- There’s a scruff guard that prevents the rear bumper paintwork from getting scratched when your Dog is getting in or out
- Comes with seat liners
- The air conditioning is most effective when you drive
- In case of direct sunlight when your car is parked, there’s a solar ventilation feature that makes the car remain cool
>>> Update more Toyota prices here: Toyota car prices in Nigeria (Update in 2019)
10. Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Features of Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring:
- It offers a 4-door and 5-door option, plus 30.9 cubic feet of cargo space
- Comes with cargo barrier
- It has rear seat covers to control Dog hair
- 40/20/40 split-folding back seat
- Multi-zone automatic temperature controls
- Comes with a protector for the back bumper
- Tilt glass sunroof
- Safety features like rear cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring
It offers comfort for you too - surround-view parking camera and ventilated front seats.
While you focus on getting a car that’s good enough for you, pick one that’s also dog-friendly, it will help you worry less while driving with a canine right behind you. Always remember, a happy dog makes for a happy owner!