Retired international footballer, David Beckham, has been slammed with a six months driving ban after he was photographed by a member of the public using his phone while behind the wheels.
>>> To check back the incident, read our previous post on David Beckham admits to using his phone while driving Bentley.
The former Real Madrid, Manchester United and England striker had pleaded guilty to making use of his mobile device as he drove in his Bentley in slow-moving traffic in Central London on November 21, 2018.
Beckham, dressed in a dark grey suit, was told by Catherine Moore, District Judge at Bromley magistrates court, that he would be given additional six points to the six points he already got for over speeding.
Beckham and his lawyer at the court premises
Although the judge acknowledged that the traffic was moving at a slow pace, she however said, under the law, there was no excuse. “I am therefore required to disqualify you from driving,” she stated.
In his argument, prosecutor Matthew Spratt said:
“Instead of looking straight forward, paying attention to the road, he appeared to be looking at his lap.
“He [the witness] says that the defendant was operating a handheld device at knee level. At that moment a photograph was taken. The defendant was holding the mobile phone in the upright position.”
The former Manchester United player on arriving the court
Beckham’s lawyer, Gerrard Tyrrell, said his client could not recall the incident, neither could he recall the day it happened. “There is no excuse for what took place, but his view is as he cannot remember ... he’s going to plead guilty, and that’s what he’s done,” Tyrrell added.
>>> A little throwback to our familiar Aki & Pawpaw stars! Osita Iheme house and cars & debunked myths
When leaving the court, the football star was a bit annoyed
Tyrrell further stated that his client had seen the photographs, and observed that the traffic was stationary.
Beckham, 44, who was a captain for the England team was fined £750 (~N350,900), and was ordered to pay £100 (~N46,800) to prosecution costs, and an additional surcharge fee of £75 (~N35,000).
Last year, the former star-player was heavily criticized for avoiding prosecution over a speeding charge after his lawyer, Nick Freeman, made a successful argument that the notice came in a day late.