Controller-General of Customs asks government to reduce vehicle import duty to 45%

01/29/2019

Posted by: Chris Odogwu

Share this post:
The Controller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service has called on the federal government to reduce vehicle import duty to 45%. Find out reasons for this!

The Nigeria Customs Service has made a request to the government for the reduction of import duty on vehicles from its current 70% to 45%. This was made known by the Controller-General, Col Hameed Ali (retd.), at a media briefing held in Abuja in commemoration of the International Customs Day 2019.

The Controller-General noted that the high tariff has resulted to many people seeking illegal ways to bring vehicles into the country. This has given rise to smuggling by people who would go to any length to bypass the import duty. He said that new vehicles imported into Nigeria bags a 35% import duty and an added 35% levy. The total duty on imported vehicles amount to 70%.

car-importation-in-Nigeria

Any car imported to Nigeria is suffering from 70% tariff

Ali stated that the 70% duty which is the official rate the government is charging is on the high side, and called on the government to reduce it. He noted that, from their observation, the total rate of 70% is too much for importers to pay, hence, pushing them to neighboring ports. Some of them look for ways to smuggle their cars into the country, bypassing the import duty.

After interacting with their stakeholders, Ali said they found out that the sudden increase was driving them away. A reduction of the levy would see an increase in the number of cars being imported into the country. By doing this, the revenue being generated by the Nigeria Customs Service will also increase. He advised the government to look into the issue, and implement a 25% reduction in tariff for the growth of the economy.

>>> You might want to check out: How to buy auction cars in Nigeria from Nigeria Customs Service

Revenue generated by Nigeria Customs Service

Acknowledging the achievement of the service, the Controller-General said that its revenue generated has been on an increase since 2015. Breaking down the figures, he revealed that the Nigeria Customs raised N904.07 billion in 2015. Revenue generated in 2017 was N1.03 trillion, and in 2018, the service generated its highest revenue in history N1.2 trillion.

Nigeria-Custom-Services

Recent years witnessed the exponential increase in NCS revenue

Seizures

Ali made it known that, from 2015 to 2018, the Nigeria Customs Service seized a total of 32,335 items whose duty paid value was N93.38 billion.

Breaking it down further, he disclosed that 5,485 items worth N7.51 billion in duty paid value were seized in 2015. In 2016, they seized 5,923 items whose duty paid value was N10.14 billion. In 2017, the items and duty paid value were 4,708 and N12.58 billion. Summing it up, the items seized in 2018 were 5,219 and the duty paid value was N62.13 billion.

Check out Naijauto.com for more information about activities of the Nigeria Customs Service.

Chris Odogwu
Share this post:
Chris Odogwu

Chris Odogwu

Car events

Chris Odogwu is a Content Writer and Journalist. He holds a bachelor's degree in Mass Communication from University of Jos and a master's degree in Mass Communication from University of Lagos. His works have been published in top local and international publications including Forbes, HuffPost, ThriveGlobal, TheNextScoop and Nigeria360 among others. A member of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR), the thrill he gets from writing about exotic cars feels almost the same as riding in them.

Related Articles

See more
Covid 19