10 car facts your kids should know

11/04/2019

Posted by: Okenwa Emeka

Share this post:
These are fun facts about cars your kids should know to learn about the history of cars and unknown incidences that occurred in the past! By introducing them these facts, you can instill a love for automobiles in your children. Read on!

Children are known to be very smart and inquisitive. They have the ability to swiftly grasp the names of cars and can easily differentiate different brands of cars. Children also have their likes and dislike about cars and their preferences. They can talk about cars with their friends and talk about their favourite cars that are driven in town.

Your kids also have the right to discover facts about cars they have never heard. Naijauto highlights some fun facts about cars your kids should know.

1. The longest living car was 82 years old

I’m sure your kids have never heard about this. Allen Swift of Massachusetts was presented with Piccadilly-P1 Roadster by Rolls-Royce after his graduation. This must be a very special present for him because he owned, drove and treasured this vehicle for 82 years!

longest-living-car

This might be the most cherished car by owner in the world

2. The longest traffic jam was recorded on February 16, 1980

The longest traffic jam ever spanned between Lyon to Paris. This was when hundreds of tourists were returning home from Ski holidays. This report is according to Guinness World Records.

As a result of poor weather and traffic blockage, a stretch of 109 miles was at a standstill on the French Autoroute.

However, when it comes to the traffic jam that lasts for longest time, we must mention the Beijing traffic jam in 2010 which lasted for 12 days.

longest-traffic-jam 

The longest traffic jam ever recorded lasted for 12 days.

3. In 1908, a car cost around $825 (~N299,000)

Surprisingly, at the beginning of the 20th century, the cost of buying a car was around $825. This is approximately 299,000 naira. Whoa! Imagine spending this in buying a car! Majority of Nigerians would have owned one or two cars.

However, with the time value of money, $825 would be thousands of dollars today.

4. In the world, there are more cars than people

World Population Clock reports that the world’s population is over 7.4 billion. We have over 10 billion cars in the world. This is according to a report from Elite Daily,

So the question goes; who drives these cars? Many cars are manufactured annually but not all are in use. Some cars are left unsold and unused, and they are usually disposed of or left to rust.

>>> You may want to take a look at Vehicle cemetery and other creepy places in the world

5. The most recycled product in the world is car

Do you know that about 27 million cars are reprocessed every year? This is because approximately 95% of cars that have stopped functioning are recycled.

car-recycling

Most cars are recycled after being got rid of

6. Volkswagen owns other prestigious car companies

Do you think that the German company, Volkswagen is a single brand? Well, you are wrong. Volkswagen owns other car companies such as Bugatti, Porsche, Bentley, Audi, and Lamborghini.

>>> More details at: Comprehensive list of car brands under Volkswagen

7. The most expensive car ever made

The cost of the most expensive car ever made in the history was $8.7 million. It was a 1931 Bugatti Kellner Coupe.

However, the current most expensive car in the world now is the Bugatti La Voiture Noire, acquired by Cristiano Ronaldo.

ronaldo-bugatti

As a big fan of Bugatti, it's no surprising CR7 bought the most expensive from this automaker

8. The maximum speed of a car during the early years

During the early years, the maximum speed of the car was 4km per hour. Imagine, who would want to drive that in recent times?

car-in-the-past

How fast do you think this car could run in the past?

>>> Track down the memory lane of car speed: Historic top speeds of car: 19 km/h to 1,228 kmh. Believe it or not?

9. There are almost 30,000 parts in a car

There are as many as 30,000 parts in an average car. These parts coupled together form the car that we drive. Some of these units are recyclable; like the oil filters, tires, scrap metals, and battery.

10. The first automobile accident took place in 1981

In 1981, the first car accident occurred near Cleveland in Ohio City. James William Lambert’s car hit a tree root and got sidetracked. This led to it crashing into a hitching post. The injuries were minor but it made a mark in the history of cars.

11. The smell of a new car is dangerous

The smell of a new car may be a thing you love to perceive but inhaling it can be dangerous to one’s health. This is because it is made up of assorted volatile compounds.

>>> More details at: Studies show new car smell may lead to birth defect and cancer!

12. The first company up for sale was Benz

In 1887, Benz was the first company to be put up for sale.

13. Toyota is the largest producer of cars

With over 13,000 cars manufactured every day, Toyota remains the largest producer of cars in the world. Toyota is the sixth largest company in the world and it employs more than 360,000 people. Founded in 1937, Toyota has become the largest producer of cars, having factories all over the world.

A Toyota-branded steering wheel

Toyota is the largest producer of cars in the world. The company manufactures over 13,000 cars in a day.

If this information is provided to your children, they will gain more enlightenment on the history and facts about cars. They will definitely be delighted to know these fun facts about cars and share with their friends!

>>> Auto fun on Naijauto newsfeed is always full of interesting car stories for you & your kids!

Share this post:
Okenwa Emeka

Okenwa Emeka

reviews

Okenwa Emeka is a prolific writer who combines his content creation skills with a strong passion for automobiles to make engaging articles for Naija car lovers. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing CAM with a diploma in digital marketing. 

Related Articles

See more
Covid 19