A lot of people just drive around in a Honda Accord without knowing a thing or two about their favorite wonder on wheels. All they can relate the Honda with is its high performance on Nigerian roads, how affordable it is and it's reliability. But this model that came into existence in the mid 1970s has a lot of history and is still breaking ground all around the world. Sit back and relax as yours truly, Naijauto, brings you 5 fun facts about the Honda Accord that you probably never knew. Let's go!
There are so many things about the Honda Accord that many ardent defenders of the brand dont know
1. Honda Accord's 10 generations and their Nigerian nicknames
Launched in 1976, the first Honda Accord was made to be a much better upgrade from the Honda civic which was popular at the time. Since then, the Japanese automaker have remained consistent in quality by churning out millions of the model till date. Currently, the Honda is in its 10th generation - the 2018 till date versions. Honda Accord is a very popular sedan in Nigeria, with most of its generations has a nickname coined by Naija people. See the list of Honda Accord generation and its Nigerian nicknames below:
- The 1st Generation had a two door hatchback, and was between 1976-1981;
- Second Generation are those made from 1982-1985;
- Third Generation are those made from 1986-1989, known as Honda Accord Pure Water in Nigeria
- Fourth Generation are those made from 1990-1993, know as Honda Accord Halla
- Fifth Generation are those made from 1993-1997, known as Honda Accord Bull Dog / Bullet (European spec)
- Sixth Generation are those made from 1998-2002, known as Baby Boy/ Hennessy
- Seventh Generation are those made from 2003-2007, known as End of Discussion/EOD
- Eighth Generation includes those made between 2008-2012, known as Discussion Continues / Evil Sprit in Nigeria
- Ninth generation are those made between 2013-2017, known as Anaconda
2. The first Honda assembled in Nigeria was an Accord
On 10th July 2015, Honda opened its first assembling plant in Nigeria. This was in order to foster better relationship with Nigeria and their customers all over Africa. The first car that was assembled at that plant, was a Honda Accord. Since then, the plant has assembled thousands of cars. Keep in mind that the plant is also the first Honda assemblage in Africa.
3. The Honda Accord Is the third best selling Honda ever
Another fun fact about the Honda Accord is that it's the third best selling model of the Japanese car manufacturer, ever. With over 200,000 units sold every year, it only comes after the Honda Civic and Honda CRV - which come 1st and 2nd respectively.
>>> Honda models are hot sellers, here are the proofs:
4. Honda Accord is the first imported car to be a best seller in America
The United States of America boasts some of the popular car brands around the world. If you don't find a Ford on the roads, you'll likely see a German vehicle. But in the late 80's, the Honda Accord became the first imported car to become a best seller in America. This has also helped take Honda to a status where it's now a household name.
5. Honda Accord has been on top 10 cars, 30 times
Popular car ranking and review website, Car and Driver, have kept the Honda Accord on its top 10 cars list, for at least 30 times. This has gone to show how consistent the model has been on ratings when it comes to reliability, affordability and high performance.
>>> And here are the reasons why:
- Honda Accord is one of the 10 cheapest and easiest to maintain cars
- Honda Accord 2019 won best car of the year
These are just a few fun facts about the Honda Accord. We at Naijauto will definitely bring you more as they come.