Abeokuta is the city in Nigeria with the weirdest place names. A bus station there is called Iyana Mortuary which means Road To Mortuary. Does anyone want to get down at a “Road To Mortuary” at night? It’s so funny.
Abeokuta is the city in Nigeria with the weirdest place names
Let’s see top 20 funniest and strangest place names in Nigeria.
1. Odongunyan (in Ikorodu): Mortar is hitting yam
2. Alalubosa (in Ibadan): Someone sells onions
3. Adigbe (in Abeokuta): Someone blocks feaces
4. Oniparaga (in Ondo): Herbal alcoholic mixture seller
5. Tabon-Tabon (in Agege): Shoot gun – Shoot gun
6. Ogijo (Ogun State): Burnt pap
7. Kukuruku (in Edo): Cock-crow. You need no alarm clock in order to wake you up
8. Killer (in Ejigbo, Lagos): as its name, a killer
9. Ogolonto (Ikorodu): What does it mean?
10. Ojuelegba (Lagos): the owner’s eyes of the cane
11. Alagbado: Corn’s owner
12. Ijoka (Akure): the wicked’s church
13. Onipaanu: roof’s owner
14. Bokunsoro: Talk with the spirits
15. Olomilagbala: One with water at his backyard
16. Oke omiru: The top of Locust bean water
17. Omieran atijo: water of old meats
18. Iyana iba: Malaria street
19. Adieowe: The fowl didn’t bathe
20. Akwusialuwaogu (Aba): Stop there and start fighting
Each of these funny place names in Nigeria has its own history. Ask a local and they will tell you with enthusiasm.