Mitsubishi Motors is a Japanese multinational automotive company among the top twenty biggest automakers worldwide. In Nigeria though, this particular brand isn’t so popular as bigger Japansese brands such as Toyota or Honda, hence getting legitimate spare parts is quite difficult. If you drive a Mitsubishi car, you definitely need to get it serviced sometimes. Find in this article the common problems with Mitsubishi cars, prices of Mitsubishi car parts and where to buy them in Nigeria. Let's go!
Mitsubishi Outlander is the most sought after Mitsubishi model in Nigeria
Most common complaints on Mitsubishi cars
Most of the complaints about this car are largely engine related and most times the engine has to be replaced. Another common complaint is that Mitsubishi spare parts are scarce and expensive. In fact a particular user in a comment said “this car has zapped my pocket”.
- Front sub-frame gets rusted just too easily. This issue might not be noticed until the whole frame rusts out and will then announce itself unexpectedly. This has been a major problem with Mitsubishi Lancer for 2002 to 2008 models.
- Engine stalling: this situation that occurs when a car stops accelerating even when you stepping down on the accelerator pedal. This can be a very dangerous issue and might result in being hit from behind since the car just losses acceleration unexpectedly.
- The spark plug is often replaced: this results in performance problems such poor acceleration, difficulty in getting the engine started and others. The spark plug is not so expensive, rather easy to find and you can replace it on your own. To replace a spark plug, carefully remove (unscrew) the old plugs, clean the threads inside the terminal before installing new plugs.
- Easily worn out and faulty tires, and bad brakes: The bad brakes issue is easily made obvious by grinding noises when the brakes are applied. This is caused by faulty rotor which is worn out by friction over time and causes overheating in the brake system.
- Unexpected and early dead battery and a faulty alternator: trouble with these parts greatly reduces the durability quality of Mitsubishi cars and usually results in hard start issues. The alternator is often damaged by the number of high demand components which shorten the alternators lifespan.
Here are some tips when buying Mitsubishi car parts:
- The price of the product; because there are many fake and substandard products the price is lower than the other.
- Also know the dealer; at the end of the day going to a certified dealer nearest to you is your best bet.
- The way the item looks (whether new or not) can help you to an extent judge whether or not the product is genuine or not.
Prices of common replaced Mitsubishi car parts in Nigeria
|SPARE PARTS||PRICES (₦)|
|Engine (depending on the model)||₦300,000 - 800,000|
|Shock Absorber (for various models)||₦12,000 – 20,000|
|Alternator (For various models)||
₦55,000 – 100,000
|Tires||₦15,000 – 25,000|
|Brake Disc rotor and Brake pads for front and rear||₦37,000 – 70,000|
Knowing some of the problems which this brand has with some of its models, it is necessary that suitable and reliable sources are also provided for you to know so as to be able to solve these issues as they arise. A list of various dealers as well as mechanics will be listed below.
Mitsubishi spare parts dealers in Nigeria
|Mitsubishi Motors||Lagos||84 Karimu Kotun Street Victoria Island Eti Osa Lagos|
|Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha Nigeria Limited||Lagos||Business Address: Plot 97, Ahmadu Bello Way, Union Bank Building 5th Floor, 4th Roundabout, Eti Osa, Lagos|
|Kewalram chanrai group mitsubishi motors||Lagos||Plot 17 Block 113 Lekki Pennisula Ibeju Lekki Lagos Nigeria|
|Mitsubishi Heavy Industries limited||Abuja||Plot 48, Aguiyi Irosi Street, Aguyi Ironsi, Maitama, Abuja,|
|Alibaba Motors||Lagos||2B, Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Maryland, Ikeja, Lagos,|
1090 Adeola Odeku, Victoria Island, 0803 906 1000
|Abuja||28 Ndola Crescent, Wuse Zone 5 Abuja|
|Rivers||84B Trans - Amadi Industrial Layout, Port Harcourt, 0909 699 8130|
|Auto Williams Investment Co. Ltd||Lagos||167/ Ladipo Street, Matori, Mushin (Opposite Minaj Broadcasting), Lagos +234 1 481 0100|
|KennyGuy||Rivers||Phone:08060218663 Email: Kenyguy4ever@yahoo.com|
|Phone:08083603427.11/59 Zaria Road Jos, directly opposite INEC Office Rivers State|
|Lead Auto-Kano||Kano||1, Farm center, by Maiduguri Road, Kano. Phone:08098407676|
|Mandilas Enterprises Ltd||Oyo||45, Ijebu Bye-Pass, Ibadan, Oyo State. Phone: +234 2 2313058|
|Rivers||Plot 8A, Trans Amadi layout, Port Harcourt, Rivers State. Phone: +234 84 231506|
With all this, it is not a bad idea to purchase a Mitsubishi as it has very good performance ratings and for those who can afford proper maintenance of the car, the life span and durability promises to meet all standards promised by the company. The cost of maintenance seems to play a very key role in the scarcity of newer models in the country, lack of genuine spare parts also.