Nowadays everyone wants a “German Beast” but have we thought of other automobile companies round the world that are more suitable for our needs. Mitsubishi Motors is a Japanese multinational automotive company it is among the top twenty biggest automakers worldwide. Over the years (49) the company has sought to achieve customer satisfaction, they divided their drive into two parts which are; initial quality which covers the initial stage when the customer uses the car and durability quality which as the name implies covers the quality as the customer makes use of the product throughout the life span of the car.
In Nigeria though, this particular brand isn’t so popular not to say it’s rare to see a Mitsubishi car, hence getting legitimate spare parts is quite difficult. But there are a few things to look out for in order to get genuine spare part.
- The price of the product; because there are many fake and substandard products the price is lower than the other.
- Also know the dealer; at the end of the day going to a certified dealer nearest to you is your best bet.
- The way the item looks (whether new or not) can help you to an extent judge whether or not the product is genuine or not.
Most Common Complaints on Mitsubishi cars
Most of the complaints about this car are largely engine related and most times the engine has to be replaced. Another common complaint is that Mitsubishi spare parts are scarce and expensive. In fact a particular user in a comment said “this car has zapped my pocket”.
- For the Mitsubishi Lancer, it has a general issue with its front sub-frame which gets rusted just too easily. Usually, the front sub-frame carries the steering rack, supports the engine and suspension system, as well as carries the lower control arms of the car. This issue might not be noticed until the whole frame rusts out and will then announce itself unexpectedly. This has been a major problem with Mitsubishi Lancer for 2002 to 2008 models. This problem has results in reported frequent replacement of the Mitsubishi sub-frame.
- Another common issue with Mitsubishi is the engine stalling, as situation that occurs when a car stops accelerating even when you're stepping down on the accelerator pedal. This can be a very dangerous issue and might result in being hit from behind since the car just losses acceleration unexpectedly. In most instances, the acceleration comes up within seconds but is still a worrisome issue. This issue has been reported in several Mitsubishi vehicles. Since Mitsubishi spare parts are scarce in Nigeria, the obvious solution to this Inhibitor Sensor issue is a complete engine change which is very costly project.
- The spark plug replacement is a common trend among some particular models of Mitsubishi cars. This situation results in performance issues such as poor acceleration, difficulty in getting the engine started and others. The spark plug is not so expensive neither is it difficult to find and is also not difficult to replace on your own. (Check the owner’s manual of the car to locate the plugs, and inspect the plug for any wear). To replace a spark plug, carefully remove (unscrew) the old plugs, clean the threads inside the terminal before installing new plugs..
- Another common issue noticed with various models of the Mitsubishi brand is easily worn out and faulty tires, as well as bad brakes. The bad brakes issue is easily made obvious by grinding noises heard when the brakes are applied. This is caused by faulty rotor which over time is worn out by friction (between the brake calipers and the brake pads) this causes overheating in the brake system.
- A commonly issue noticed in Mitsubishi cars is an unexpected and early dead battery and a faulty alternator. Trouble with these parts greatly reduces the durability of Mitsubishi cars and usually results in hard start issues, since the alternator keeps the battery charged and supplies energy to the vehicles electrical system. The alternator is often damaged by the number of high demand components which shorten the alternators lifespan.
These are some of the part of most Mitsubishi models that are often replaced.
|SPARE PARTS||PRICES (₦)|
|Engine (depending on the model)||300,000 - 800,000|
|Shock Absorber (for various models)||12,000 – 20,000|
|Alternator (For various models)||
55,000 – 100,000
|Tires||15,000 – 25,000|
|Brake Disc rotor and Brake pads for front and rear||37,000 – 70,000|
Knowing some of the problems which this brand has with some of its models, it is necessary that suitable and reliable sources are also provided for you to know so as to be able to solve these issues as they arise. A list of various dealers as well as mechanics will be listed below
|Mitsubishi Motors||Lagos||84 Karimu Kotun Street Victoria Island Eti Osa Lagos|
|Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha Nigeria Limited||Lagos||Business Address: Plot 97, Ahmadu Bello Way, Union Bank Building 5th Floor, 4th Roundabout, Eti Osa, Lagos|
|Kewalram chanrai group mitsubishi motors||Lagos||Plot 17 Block 113 Lekki Pennisula Ibeju Lekki Lagos Nigeria|
|Mitsubishi Heavy Industries limited||Abuja||Plot 48, Aguiyi Irosi Street, Aguyi Ironsi, Maitama, Abuja,|
|Alibaba Motors||Lagos||2B, Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Maryland, Ikeja, Lagos,|
1090 Adeola Odeku, Victoria Island, 0803 906 1000
|Abuja||28 Ndola Crescent, Wuse Zone 5 Abuja|
|Rivers||84B Trans - Amadi Industrial Layout, Port Harcourt, 0909 699 8130|
|Auto Williams Investment Co. Ltd||Lagos||167/ Ladipo Street, Matori, Mushin (Opposite Minaj Broadcasting), Lagos +234 1 481 0100|
|KennyGuy||Rivers||Phone:08060218663 Email: Kenyguy4ever@yahoo.com|
|Phone:08083603427.11/59 Zaria Road Jos, directly opposite INEC Office Rivers State|
|Lead Auto-Kano||Kano||1, Farm center, by Maiduguri Road, Kano. Phone:08098407676|
|Mandilas Enterprises Ltd||Oyo||45, Ijebu Bye-Pass, Ibadan, Oyo State. Phone: +234 2 2313058|
|Rivers||Plot 8A, Trans Amadi layout, Port Harcourt, Rivers State. Phone: +234 84 231506|
With all this, it is not a bad idea to purchase a Mitsubishi as it has very good performance ratings and for those who can afford proper maintenance of the car, the life span and durability promises to meet all standards promised by the company. The cost of maintenance seems to play a very key role in the scarcity of newer models in the country, lack of genuine spare parts also.