With the advantages of cheaper fuel prices, greater engine performance, less frequent minor breakdowns etc., diesel cars have become an increasingly popular option for a lot of car buyers. Here are the ten most economical diesel car models currently available in the market.
1. The Seat Leon (the 2013 and older versions)
- Advantage: The model is equipped with standard equipment levels, quality interior, and sharp exterior style.
- Disadvantage: The problem with side-mirror noises is quite common in this model.
- Editor rating: 4.5 stars
- Best version: the 1.6 TDI Ecomotive SE 5d
- Used car prices: N3.7m - N10m (for reference only)
In addition to a high-performance engine and flashy look, the Leon also has a very reasonable price tag
Seat Leon has brought a completely new style to the original Volkswagen Golf. In addition to a high-performance engine and flashy look, the Leon also has a very reasonable price tag. With a 1.6 liter diesel engine and the emission level of as low as 83g / km, the SEAT Leon is fully in compliance with the environmental regulations. Although sometimes you can't actually achieve this performance level, this is really an impressive figure.
With a fuel tank of 50l, the Leon can survive a maximum distance of 1.450km. With 108 horsepower, the car takes about 10.2 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 100km/h. The Leon is definitely not a speedy supercar but it is far from a slow carriage, not to mention the firm handling. Mid-range equipment of the car includes hill start assist system, 16-inch wheels, fog lights, cruise control system, leather-wrapped steering wheel, gearshift and armrest, and adjustable driver seat.
2. The Volkswagen Polo (the 2009 and older versions)
- Advantages: The model features spacious and high-quality interior, which helps it gain approval from many car drivers and experts alike.
- Disadvantages: The Volkswagen Polo unfortunately has no unique selling point
- Editor rating: 4.5 stars
- Best version: the 1.2 TDI Bluemotion 3d
- Used car prices: N1.8m - N8.2m (for reference only)
The model features spacious and high-quality interior
The Volkswagen Polo possesses a huge interior space. In addition, this innovative model has a quiet cabin. Its four large seats can comfortably accommodate 5 people in many cases. The Volkswagen Polo is powered by a 1.2-liter petrol engine with fuel consumption of 34.01 km/l and CO2 emissions of only 91 g/km. Speed is a minor minus point of this car. With a capacity of 73 horsepower, the car can accelerate from 0 to 100km/h in 12 seconds.
The car interior is designed in a signature sophisticated style of the Volkswagen. The Bluemotion version features custom air conditioning, cruise control, leather steering wheel and 15-inch wheels. In general, the Polo has high resale value due to its relatively moderate running costs.
3. The Estate Skoda Octavia (the 2013 and older versions)
- Advantages: Two main advantages of this model compared to its rivals are the huge space, and high resale value.
- Disadvantages: Same as the Volkswagen Polo, the Estate Skoda loses points because of its lack of unique selling point
- Editor rating: 4.5 stars
- Best version: the 1.6 TDI CR SE Business GreenLine III 5d
- Used car prices: N4.3m - N10.8m (for reference only)
Two main advantages of this model compared to its rivals are the huge space, and high resale value
The Skoda Octavia Estate is a symbol of practicality and good value for money. While having an affordable price tag, the car is equipped with a high-performance engine. Anticipating car owners desire for a fuel-efficient engine, the Skoda has equipped the Octavia with a 1.6-liter petrol engine with a fuel consumption of 34.01km/l. This car also has low CO2 emissions, at only about 90g/km. However, the engine is likely to produce 108 horsepower. The car needs about 10.4 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 100km/h. The capacity of its luggage compartment is 610l with all the seats in use while with the last row folded down, this figure reaches 1.740l. The Skoda Octavia Estate's door edge is lowered, thereby enlarging its cargo space. The car is equipped with a multimedia touchscreen, alloy wheels, air conditioning, Bluetooth and digital radio.
>>> See more:
4. The Dacia Sandero (the 2013 and older versions)
- Advantages: good value for money, large storage compartment.
- Disadvantages: On the downside, the model has less attraction than its rivals, and sometimes there are complaints of its noisy motors.
- Editor rating: 3.5 stars
- Best version: 1.5 dCi Laureate 5d
- Used car prices: N1.6m - N4.8m (for reference only)
The Dacia Sandero has noticeably good value for money, compared to a car with a 1.5-liter diesel engine
The Dacia Sandero has noticeably good value for money, compared to a car with a 1.5-liter diesel engine. With the 88 horsepower engine, the car can accelerate from 0 to 100km/h in 11.4 seconds. The manufacturer promised that the Sandero model will have a fuel consumption of about 34.01km/l. Like many other cars in this list, the Sandero has the CO2 emission of 90g/km. The top-of-the-range Laureate is equipped with air conditioning, cruise control and electric rear door. If you spend a mere addition of £250, you will have an additional 7-inch touch screen that is compatible with satellite navigation system and entertainment.
5. Nissan Qashqai (the 2014 and older versions)
- Advantages: The Nissan Qashqai turns heads because of its spacious interior, sharp exterior, and large storage compartment.
- Disadvantages: It has many features similar to those of off-road vehicles.
- Editor rating: 5 stars
- Best version: 1.5 dCi Acenta 5d
- Used car prices: N5.8m - N12.8m (for reference only)
The Nissan Qashqai turns heads because of its spacious interior, sharp exterior, and large storage compartment
As one of the first crossover models and a typical modern family car, the Nissan Qashqai is priced relatively low due to its 1.5-liter diesel engine. This engine promises a fuel consumption of 41.46km/l and the CO2 emission of 99g / km. The engine power is 108 horsepower allowing the car to accelerate from 0 to 100km/h in 11.5 seconds. The Acenta is equipped with 17-inch alloy wheels, air conditioning and heating, front headlights and automatic wiper blades.