From inception, Toyota has always been a regular car on Nigerian roads, so much so that it can be classified as a household car. Apart from Nigeria, Toyota dominates several other countries – from models created in the 20th century up to the 2019 model!
Began in 1966, became the world’s best seller in 1974, and since then, Toyota has thrilled us with 11 generations of Toyota Corolla models. Today, Naijauto would be focusing specifically on the 8th generation Toyota Corolla, 1998 model precisely.
The 1998 model was first introduced in 1997. At the time, all Corollas for the North American market were built in Fremont, California by NUMMI (New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc) or Cambridge, Ontario by TMMC (Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc.).
The design is pretty old, but it is still used in Nigeria.
Other cars that belong to the 8th generation of Toyota Corolla include:
- 1999 Toyota Corolla LE 002
- 1999 Toyota Corolla LE 001
- 2000 Toyota Corolla interior 002
- 2000 Toyota Corolla 001
- 2001 Toyota Corolla LE 002
- 2001 Toyota Corolla LE 001
- 2002 Toyota Corolla S 003
- 2002 Toyota Corolla LE Interior 002
- 2002 Toyota Corolla LE 001
1. 1998 Toyota Corolla trim levels
All 6 models come in Sedans and the Manufacturers’ Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) looks a little expensive. Actually, getting any of the 1998 Corolla models wouldn’t cost that much if you’re buying in Nigeria.
1998 Toyota Corolla trim levels
|1998 Toyota Corolla VE||4dr Sedan VE Manual||4 Cylinder||FWD|
|1998 Toyota Corolla VE||4dr Sedan VE Auto||4 Cylinder||FWD|
|1998 Toyota Corolla CE||4dr Sedan CE Manual||4 Cylinder||FWD|
|1998 Toyota Corolla CE||4dr Sedan CE Auto||4 Cylinder||FWD|
|1998 Toyota Corolla LE||4dr Sedan LE Manual||4 Cylinder||FWD|
|1998 Toyota Corolla LE||4dr Sedan LE Auto||4 Cylinder||FWD|
>>> Toyota Corolla 2010 is also a wise choice: Toyota Corolla 2010 price in Nigeria (2019) – the most searched for price list in the world
2. 1998 Toyota Corolla Specifications
Below are the basic specifications on 1998 Toyota Corolla!
- 1.8L twin-cam EFI 16-valve 4-cyl engine
- 5-speed manual transmission w/OD
- Front wheel drive
- Independent MacPherson strut front/rear suspension
- Rear stabilizer bar
- P175/65R14 all-season SBR BSW tires
- Temporary spare tire
- 14" steel wheels
- Pwr-assisted rack & pinion steering
- Pwr-assisted front vented disc/rear drum brakes
- 13.2-gallon fuel tank
3. 1998 Toyota Corolla Interior
Skipping its exterior design as you already see it, we will introduce briefly interior highlights of this 8th-gen Toyota Corolla!
- Reclining front bucket seats w/adjustable headrests
- Rear bench seat w/adjustable headrests in outboard positions
- Fabric-trimmed interior
- Full carpeting
- Instrumentation-inc: speedometer, LCD odometer, dual trip meters, temp/fuel gauges
- Warning lights-inc: airbag, seat belts, fuel level, door-ajar, brake, engine, oil pressure, battery
- Remote releases-inc: fuel-filler door, hood
- 2-speaker radio prep pkg-inc: (2) speakers, antenna, wiring harness
- Dual visor vanity mirrors
- Dome light w/15-second delay
- Dual front cup holders
- Rear cup holder
>>> You can also check this! Best alternatives for the Toyota Corolla in Nigeria
4. How much does a 1998 Toyota Corolla cost in Nigeria?
When it's first introduced, a brand new 1998 Toyota Corolla VE is suggested to cost around N4.5 million, while the CE and LE trims were priced from N5 million to N5.7 million. Nowadays, the price tags are much lower.
Please note that car prices will vary according to car mileage, car condition and some related factors. The price list below is for your reference only!
|1998 Toyota Corolla price in Nigeria|
|Model||Price in Nigeria|
|Nigerian-used 1998 Toyota Corolla (automatic)||₦500,000 – ₦750,000|
|Nigerian-used 1998 Toyota Corolla (manual)||~₦600,000|
|Foreign used 1998 Toyota Corolla (automatic)||₦890,000 – ₦1,200,000|
Still among the 8th generation, the 2002 Corolla looks a lot different from the 1998 model
5. What is the cost of clearing the 1998 Toyota Corolla?
Majorly because the 1998 model is quite old, there’s currently no fixed price for clearing the car after purchase in Nigeria. However, we have something close:
Clearing Toyota Corolla at Seme Border
- 2000 Toyota Corolla - ₦350,000
- 2006 Toyota Corolla - ₦450,000
- 2008 Toyota Corolla - ₦600,000
Considering these prices, your budget for clearing a 1998 Toyota Corolla can be around ₦250,000.
>>> For your reference: How to achieve optimum fuel efficiency in a Toyota Corolla
6. How to maintain the 1998 Toyota Corolla?
All Toyota’s are known to be quite reliable. Once the maintenance is top-notch, they tend to last long - the 1998 Toyota Corolla isn’t an exception. Although the model is old, a number of Nigerians still drive it around. In terms of mileage, the 1998 Corolla has a 31-40 mpg capability.
However, to maximize its potentials, you have to keep a regular maintenance habits as recommended below!
For 5,000 miles or after every 4 months:
- Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Rotate tires
Inspect the following:
- Air filter
- Brake: linings, discs/drums
- Steering linkages
- Ball joints and dust covers
- Drive shaft boots (re-torque flange bolts)
- Body/chassis nuts and bolts
For longer miles by Toyota, you can refer to the recommended maintenance log for 1998 Corolla.
7. Where can you buy 1998 Toyota Corolla?
Looking to get a 1998 Toyota Corolla for sale in Nigeria? Don’t look too far, Cars for sale section on Naijauto has a range of fairly used 1998 Corolla available!
Please follow these links to view:
- Used 1998 Toyota Corolla for sale in Nigeria
- Used 1998 Toyota Corolla for sale in Lagos
- Used 1998 Toyota Corolla for sale priced under N1 million
>>> Check Naijauto daily for more car buying tips!